Citrix have released Citrix XenDesktop 7.1 technical preview which also includes the long waited “Citrix Virtual GPU” vGPU from NVIDIA/Citrix.
NVIDIA GRID vGPU is the industry’s most advanced technology for sharing true GPU hardware acceleration between multiple virtual desktops without compromising the graphics experience. With NVIDIA GRID vGPU you can configure GPU sharing for up to 8 users per physical GPU. The technology only works with GRID GPU’s from NVIDIA.
Upgrading XenDesktop is not supported, including:
- XenDesktop 7 to this XenDesktop Technology Preview.
- XenDesktop versions earlier than XenDesktop 7 to this XenDesktop Technology
- This XenDesktop Technology Preview to the final XenDesktop release.
current limitations with vGPU
- vGPU is only available using XenServer (not available with other hypervisors).
- vGPU using Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is not supported.
What’s new in XenDesktop 7.1 Technology Preview
The Graphical Processing Unit (GPU) capabilities feature provides graphics virtualization, offering a superior experience for users who use graphic-intensive applications and often manipulate 3-D models. The GPU feature also can improve the graphics experience for a large number of users. Administrators can evaluate workflows for the creation of GPU-capable connections and machine catalogs created with an MCS-provisioned master image. If problems are encountered, then Administrators may need to manually create the machines.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 support
Deliver a high-definition user experience on Windows 8.1 virtual desktops and physical machines. HDX 3D Pro has also been upgraded to support Windows 8.1.
Download Citrix XenDesktop 7 TP here (Requires MyCitrix account)