Microsoft has released a free ebook titled:“Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview Release“, the book which contains 108 pages is written by Mitch Tulloch and the Windows Server Team. The book provides a “first look” at the new features and enhancements coming in Windows Server 2012 R2, which Microsoft announced in June this year and for which a Tech Preview is now available. R2 is expected to be released in the last quarter of this year.
The book contains the following chapters:
- Chapter 1: Cloud OS, describing Microsoft’s Cloud OS vision consisting of Windows Server, System Center and Windows Azure
- Chapter 2: Hyper-V, detailing, Generation 2 VMs, Automatic VM activation, Remote access over VMBus, Cross-version live migration, Faster live migration, Online VHDX resize, Live export, More robust Linux support, Hyper-V replica enhancements and more
- Chapter 3: Storage, detailing Microsoft’s storage vision, Storage Management API, iSCSI Target Server enhancements, SMB 3.0 enhancements, Data deduplication enhancements, Storage Spaces enhancements, Storage QoS and more
- Chapter 4: Failover Clustering, detailing Guest clusting using shared virtual disks, CSV and SoFS enhancements, changes to the heartbeat threshold, health detection of VMs and other enhancements.
- Chapter 5: Networking, detailing Virtual RSS, NIC teaming enhancements, IPAM enhancements, Hyper-V Network Virtualization enhancements and more
- Chapter 6: Other enhancements, detailing IIS 8.5, RDS enhancements, Group Policy enhancements, Workplace Join
We’re very excited to announce another free ebook offering from Microsoft Press. Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview Release (ISBN 9780735682931), by Mitch Tulloch with the Windows Server Team, introduces new features and capabilities, with scenario-based advice on how the platform can meet the needs of your business. Get the high-level overview you need to begin preparing your deployment now. This book is based on the Preview release and will be updated to cover Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM.
Download the PDF version of this title here (108 pages, 5 MB). We will update this post with the EPUB and MOBI files next week.
Watch for the lengthier RTM edition of this ebook later this year!
If you prefer a hard copy of the book, you can order it here from our official distributor, O’Reilly Media, for $9.99.